Monday, July 9, 2007

Teaching Standards

I chose the English/Language Arts Standard for grades 9-12. I am not yet a teacher, however, I am deep enough into this program now to recognize the vast differences between how I was taught as a high school student and how teachers are being trained to teach now. Personally, I think the new methods are better. Rather than a teacher standing in front of the room and telling the students what to think, I applaud the idea of helping the students learn to think, process and analzye material for themselves. I suport the idea of group dialogue, of teaching through the use of various media and for allowing students to have some choice in the material they read and the methods in which they demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the text.

No comments: